Skip to main content

Yoga, New Workout, and Bad Traits

Thursday night was yoga. Thank God for yoga. After going a bit stir crazy with the thought of no workouts on Wednesday, I needed to sweat. 

My yoga class is a little later in the evening. This presents a bit of a problem for me. When I get home from work, I am starving and just want to eat. However, if you've ever done any kind of yoga, you know you definitely don't need to be doing that on a full stomach. This means that I am not able to eat dinner till after 9. I hate eating that late then just going to bed. It is not comfortable. All to often, because I am so hungry, my eyes will be bigger than my stomach and I will end up eating too much. Blech!

Lately, I've been trying to eat a small snack before yoga to tied me over. Then I have to remember to have something small after yoga, so I can actually sleep once I get to bed. This has been working fairly well, as long as I remember to do it. This particular yoga night I asked J.R. to make me a smoothie. With all the fruit I have in the house at the moment I was craving one. We added some strawberries, blackberries, peaches and a little bit of tropical rainbow sherbet. It was wonderful.I will definitely be doing that again.


During yoga, I was finally able to conquer a particular pose, as well as begin to figure out some others. This was exciting. I love the way yoga pushes me to try new things, scary things. I'm currently trying to figure out the whole handstand thing. I have the ability to get up. But my instructor tells me, my hips are too open so when I go up I go off to the side instead of straight up. I will conquer this one day. 

Crow pose is another I'm still working on. I can only seem to get up and hold that for a split second. I did, however, finally figure out where all the body parts go for side crow. Now if I could just get up. 


The pose I was finally able to achieve Thursday night? Lotus. Only on one side. But hey a lotus is a lotus. That is at least progress and that is all I'm going for. If you had told me a few years ago I would be even attempting to put my body in such positions I would have said you are out of your mind. :)


Friday morning I was up and attempted a new workout I put together myself. Because I'm unable to do much of anything with my lower body, this workout is all about the upper body and core. It was different from what I'm used to. But of course it is. I've never put a workout together for myself. By the end, my shoulders were toast. I was able to get a good sweat in so I was happy with it. 

If you are interested is seeing my workout, here it is. Just remember. I have no degrees or certifications in anything other than History, Teaching and Religion. So if you attempt any portion of it I can't be held liable. Some of these moves are pretty intense, specifically the renegade rows. Wow those things about killed me. I used my 20 lb kettlebell for the halos, rows, situp/pressups, and chest presses. I used my 15 lb kettlebell for the windmills, one-leg deadlifts and renegade rows. I used my 5 pound dumbbells for the shoulder presses and both the 5 lb dumbbells in one hand for the bicep curls. (The 15 lb kettlebell was just too much. I need to work on that.) You can go here to see how to properly do some of these moves with the kettlebell. Lord knows I'm no expert. 

Sorry if it's difficult to read. I was trying something new. 

Finally, today's prompt was your 3 worst traits. Who came up with these questions? I'm sure most people don't enjoy sharing their flaws, especially to all of the internet. But here goes mine. 

1. I am stubborn. This aggravated my parents to no end growing up.(Sorry mom and dad!) However, this trait has served me well over the years. I don't give up easily. I don't give into pressure easily either. It can be a pain to those around me but at the end of the day, I think it's a good trait to have.

2. I am a perfectionist. Some would say this might be a good trait to have. But I would argue it is more of detriment than helpful. It has kept me from doing things I would like to do simply because I can not do them as well as I would like. Also, the things I do can take forever because I will redo them over and over until they are just the way I want them. So there are positives and negatives. 

3. Since I can not think of another trait at the moment, I will use one I know my husband would say. He thinks I'm too negative. I claim to be a realist. I like to have all the facts together so I know what I'm up against and also to prepare myself of any let down that may occur. He takes this as being negative because I point out all the reasons why this, that or the other thing will or won't happen. I just think I'm pointing out all the scenarios. Oh well.

Hope you have a great and safe 3 day weekend!

Just gotta keep moving!





What is one of your worst traits?
Have you ever put together your own workout? How did it go?
What have you tried lately that scared you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend in San Diego

I was looking forward to this past weekend for a number of reasons and a number of weeks. First, it marked the beginning of my Spring Break. I cannot tell you how much of a needed break this is. To start the break off right, J.R. and I packed up our bikes (and some clothes) and headed down to San Diego for the weekend.

Saturday J.R. arranged for us to ride with a former coworker of his. We knew he is quite a bit slower than we are, but we simply wanted a nice, relaxing ride. What we did not know was that this would be the worst.ride.ever.
I want to preface things by saying I know things could have been far worse. I, also, know that if this was my worst ride, I should consider myself lucky. However, all that does not change how horribly catastrophic this ride turned out.
Problem #1 should have become very readily apparent the minute we started. J.R.’s former coworker chose the route. This man is not a very experienced rider, because of this he shys away from the road. That’s fine, however…

Surprises: The Good and the Bad

Solving Life's Questions

Today's prompt was:

If you couldn't answer with your job, how would you answer the question, 'what do you do'?


Now that is a difficult question. So often we put so much of who we are into the job we do. I am no exception. Much of my sense of being, of who I am rests in my career. I believe much of this has to do with my chosen profession. Teaching is definitely not for the faint of heart. 

However, I also believe this has to do with the fact that I feel this is more of a calling. It is what I was created to do. This makes my job an essential part of who I am.

It is no wonder when I lost my job a few years ago, I was seriously tested. The lack of income was a struggle and hardship. However, my ego and my self-esteem took a major hit as the years came and left leaving me unable to find a teaching job. It was then I was first met with the question of if I'm not teaching, then who am I.

I came to this conclusion, I am still a teacher. Even without a classroom to prepare les…