Skip to main content

Teaching and Fears

This morning I was reluctantly up and swinging again. It wasn't the kettlebells I was reluctant about. It was the getting out of bed. Sometimes morning comes just too quickly. Plus, it was cloudy and rainy this morning making getting up that much more difficult. 

Tuesday's I don't have students. This makes going into work so much easier. I can sit at my desk and do the things I need to get done for the day. This usually equates to me adding all my food and exercise to my two different tracking sites. Yep, two of them. I'm slightly obsessive compulsive. One I've been tracking on since the beginning and I don't want to lose the streak. 1335 days and counting. The other is on my phone and I like to use it on the go. Plus, that one is a bit more interactive with other users which I like. So I keep them both.

Then checking my personal email and deleting the mass amount of coupons. Then I like to read the blogs I follow. Then check the health and fitness forum. Then if I'm lucky I'll get some actual work done while I'm at work. I am unfortunately a huge procrastinator. Don't worry. I always get my work done on time and done well. But there is something in me that doesn't like getting things (at least things I don't like to do) done until the last minute. And I hate grading. So at the moment there is a huge stack of grading I keep pushing off till later. It's horrible I know. I just really hate grading.



Today is Teacher Appreciation Day. So take the time to thank a teacher. I promise it will make their day. So often teaching is a very thankless job, especially if you teach middle school or high school. The days where you feel like you make any sort of difference are few and far between. It can feel like an endless battle. But the days where you see progress in a student or see them accomplish something you weren't even sure they could, those days are incredibly amazing. They make the rest of the horribly difficult days worth it. 

For Teacher's Appreciation Day, my administration gave each of the teachers a nice porcelain coffee/tea cup and a gift card to Starbucks. Sweet! Unlike elementary teachers, especially kindergarten, we don't get the mass amounts of gifts from students and parents. So this was really nice that our administration recognized us today. Tonight it's free Chipotle for dinner. Yumm!!



And for today's prompt: the thing(s) you're most afraid of.

Hmm. Most probably would go with the obvious of spiders, heights, or the dark. None of which truly phase me. Snakes on the other hand. ::shivers:: I can't handle those. They truly terrify me to no end. Even seeing them on TV or in pictures gives me the heebie jeebies. (Is that even how you spell it? I don't know.) 

But as much as those creatures scare me, one thing scares me more. Failure. I am horribly afraid of failing anything. I have always had this need to strive for perfection. It's a goal no person can truly obtain. I understand this. I fully recognize I am no where near perfect. But that doesn't stop me from trying to achieve it. 

What it does stop me from doing is far worse from any failure. It stops me from trying new things. Anything foreign or anything I'm not completely certain of is put to the side because I can't be a failure. Having this fear of failure keeps me on the sidelines of life. It can be a truly debilitating thing.

However, lately I have been stepping out more. I am forcing myself to do things that scare me and make me uncomfortable. I'm tired of sitting on the sidelines of my own life. I need to be ok with failing. As the saying goes, "If you don't fail, you're not trying hard enough." Too true. So I'll leave you with some great quotes on failing.

“Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.”
― Winston Churchill

“It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

“Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.”
― Robert F. Kennedy

 Just gotta keep moving!

 
What made your favorite teacher the best teacher you had?

What are your fears?


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend in San Diego

I was looking forward to this past weekend for a number of reasons and a number of weeks. First, it marked the beginning of my Spring Break. I cannot tell you how much of a needed break this is. To start the break off right, J.R. and I packed up our bikes (and some clothes) and headed down to San Diego for the weekend.

Saturday J.R. arranged for us to ride with a former coworker of his. We knew he is quite a bit slower than we are, but we simply wanted a nice, relaxing ride. What we did not know was that this would be the worst.ride.ever.
I want to preface things by saying I know things could have been far worse. I, also, know that if this was my worst ride, I should consider myself lucky. However, all that does not change how horribly catastrophic this ride turned out.
Problem #1 should have become very readily apparent the minute we started. J.R.’s former coworker chose the route. This man is not a very experienced rider, because of this he shys away from the road. That’s fine, however…

Surprises: The Good and the Bad

Solving Life's Questions

Today's prompt was:

If you couldn't answer with your job, how would you answer the question, 'what do you do'?


Now that is a difficult question. So often we put so much of who we are into the job we do. I am no exception. Much of my sense of being, of who I am rests in my career. I believe much of this has to do with my chosen profession. Teaching is definitely not for the faint of heart. 

However, I also believe this has to do with the fact that I feel this is more of a calling. It is what I was created to do. This makes my job an essential part of who I am.

It is no wonder when I lost my job a few years ago, I was seriously tested. The lack of income was a struggle and hardship. However, my ego and my self-esteem took a major hit as the years came and left leaving me unable to find a teaching job. It was then I was first met with the question of if I'm not teaching, then who am I.

I came to this conclusion, I am still a teacher. Even without a classroom to prepare les…