My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://faithfullyhoping.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, May 6, 2013

Solving Life's Questions

Today's prompt was:

If you couldn't answer with your job, how would you answer the question, 'what do you do'?


Now that is a difficult question. So often we put so much of who we are into the job we do. I am no exception. Much of my sense of being, of who I am rests in my career. I believe much of this has to do with my chosen profession. Teaching is definitely not for the faint of heart. 

However, I also believe this has to do with the fact that I feel this is more of a calling. It is what I was created to do. This makes my job an essential part of who I am.

It is no wonder when I lost my job a few years ago, I was seriously tested. The lack of income was a struggle and hardship. However, my ego and my self-esteem took a major hit as the years came and left leaving me unable to find a teaching job. It was then I was first met with the question of if I'm not teaching, then who am I.

I came to this conclusion, I am still a teacher. Even without a classroom to prepare lessons, students to instruct and papers to grade, I am intrinsically a teacher. It's in my bones.

However, if you strip the teaching away what do I do? It should be no surprise how I answer this question, if you have read this blog much. 

I run. I cycle. I practice yoga. I do kettlebells. I am an athlete. 

I write. I read. I crochet. I create jewelry. I am an artist.

I love. I laugh. I fight. I cry (rarely). I am a woman.

As always, just gotta keep moving!



What do you do?

2 comments:

  1. I love that question! I have to re-tweet this post, hope that's okay! After reading your post it left me thinking about who I am, and I like that. Gonna keep this question in my mind this week, love it!

    Thanks for linking up today for Motivational Monday! Hope to see ya link-up again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tweet away! Glad you liked it.

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Otherwise, I feel like I'm talking to a wall, much like I do with my students. :)

ShareThis