Skip to main content

Disappointment and Setback

Wednesday I was up early for a nice easy 4.5 mile run. I wanted to take things easy on my knee. However, at mile 1 I felt an all too familiar twinge. I knew better than to push myself any farther. I turned around and headed to J.R.’s work, walking.

It is so difficult to force myself to walk when I should be running. The mile and a half to J.R.’s work seemed to drag on forever. But I was glad I forced myself to walk as the pain in my knee didn’t get any worse.
I am horribly disappointed about my knee. I just want to be able to run. As much as I hate doctors, I finally broke down and made an appointment. I am hoping there is some kind of solution. Realistically, I know she will probably tell me rest is what I need.

I am perfectly fine with giving me knee some rest. However, there are two problems with that. One is I need to get in cardio somehow so I don’t lose any training for my half. I would bike, but it is difficult to get on the bike during the week. I am going to have to see if I can get J.R. to set up a trainer for me.
The second problem is my half. It is two and half weeks away. I have been receiving emails all week about final preparations for the race. At this point these depress me. As it stands, I don’t know if I will be able to do this race. This devastates me. 

I have worked so hard to get to this point and now I may not be able to do it. And even if I can do it, unless there is a miraculous healing, I won’t be able to do the best I could have. This is horribly disappointing. But I have to take care of my body. I don’t want to further injure myself. So I will do what I have to do keep myself healthy. 

As always just gotta keep moving, albeit sans running right now. :S

 




 
If you are a runner, how do you deal with injuries? If not, how do you deal with disappointments and setbacks?

Comments

  1. Sorry to hear that, I know all too well about knee problems - I'm more of the "ok I can't run? Fine I quit!" mindset, which isn't good. I hope that the doctor helps you out and that you can run that half! And if not, I hope you can get better so you can run the next half marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I actually have the opposite mindset. I've got the stubborn streak that says "I'll do it anyway!" Yeah don't want to do that and hurt myself more.

      Delete
  2. I have been there often. Heart attack, knee surgery, and trying to get some cardio, I tore my rotator cuff trying to stay off the knee. I had surgery last summer.

    Take the time off, and do what you can do. Pushing through doubt and muscle soreness is not the same as working with real pain that is meant to get our attention.

    Be good to your self. Google upper body cardio and wheelchair cardio.

    You'll get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I'm trying to do what is best.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Otherwise, I feel like I'm talking to a wall, much like I do with my students. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend in San Diego

I was looking forward to this past weekend for a number of reasons and a number of weeks. First, it marked the beginning of my Spring Break. I cannot tell you how much of a needed break this is. To start the break off right, J.R. and I packed up our bikes (and some clothes) and headed down to San Diego for the weekend.

Saturday J.R. arranged for us to ride with a former coworker of his. We knew he is quite a bit slower than we are, but we simply wanted a nice, relaxing ride. What we did not know was that this would be the worst.ride.ever.
I want to preface things by saying I know things could have been far worse. I, also, know that if this was my worst ride, I should consider myself lucky. However, all that does not change how horribly catastrophic this ride turned out.
Problem #1 should have become very readily apparent the minute we started. J.R.’s former coworker chose the route. This man is not a very experienced rider, because of this he shys away from the road. That’s fine, however…

Surprises: The Good and the Bad

Solving Life's Questions

Today's prompt was:

If you couldn't answer with your job, how would you answer the question, 'what do you do'?


Now that is a difficult question. So often we put so much of who we are into the job we do. I am no exception. Much of my sense of being, of who I am rests in my career. I believe much of this has to do with my chosen profession. Teaching is definitely not for the faint of heart. 

However, I also believe this has to do with the fact that I feel this is more of a calling. It is what I was created to do. This makes my job an essential part of who I am.

It is no wonder when I lost my job a few years ago, I was seriously tested. The lack of income was a struggle and hardship. However, my ego and my self-esteem took a major hit as the years came and left leaving me unable to find a teaching job. It was then I was first met with the question of if I'm not teaching, then who am I.

I came to this conclusion, I am still a teacher. Even without a classroom to prepare les…