My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://faithfullyhoping.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Attempting to Avoid Injury



Sunday during my long run, I began to feel a slight pain in my left knee. It wasn’t too terrible so I mostly ignored it and kept going. I have had many issues with this particular knee and I try to keep an eye on any issues with it. 

Being as overweight as I was doesn’t do your knees any favors. On top of that, I am a bit of a klutz. I generally tend to fall on that particular knee (though I haven’t fallen in years, if you don’t count my cycling accidents, which I don’t). There have been a few times my knee has popped out of the joint. This is not a fun experience and one to be avoided at all costs. 

During the run the pain was slight. However, a few hours after both my knees were in a decent amount of pain. I was a bit concerned.

Monday was a rest day for me. After work J.R. and I went for a walk. Because we have a 5k on Sunday, and he has done zero training, he asked if we could run a bit. I wasn’t too concerned about running the small amount with him. 

That is until I started running. Pain began to shoot up my ankle to my knees. I tried to take it easy, but I was in a good amount of pain. After, it took a few hours for the pain to subside. This made me very nervous about running the rest of the week. 

Tuesday is my strength training day. I was up and swinging with my kettlebells. My knee gave me a little bit of pain throughout the day. It is something I am definitely keeping an eye on.

Wednesday I was nervous about my run. I was scheduled for 4.5 miles. I was hoping my legs would be feeling better. I decided to take it easy and not run up my usual hill. Instead I opted for a fairly flat out and back. This would give me the option of turning around and heading back if any issues came up.
I started off nice and slow. I had a little bit of pain but nothing too terrible. I hoped it would subside and be able to have a good run. 

But it didn’t. The pain began to become worse. At 1.5 miles, I decided to turn around. However, at this point the pain was too much to continue running at all. I was forced to walk.

It was extremely frustrating and humbling having to walk back to J.R.’s work (he drives to work in the morning and I run to his work to pick up the car, we’re weird we only have one car). Everything in me was shouting, “I’m a runner! I should be able to run!” But I knew I shouldn’t. I didn’t. I walked.

Image courtesy of Zazzle.com
At this point, I am not sure exactly what I did. I definitely do not want to further injure myself. I need to be able to continue my training. I should probably see a doctor. I know this. But I hate doctors. I also have to find a new doctor since we switched insurance plans. So this is not something I want to deal with at the moment.

For now, I am going to give myself some rest in hopes things will clear up. I am skipping my run Friday and substituting in a kettlebell workout. I’m just hoping I will be good to go for my 5k on Sunday. At least it’s only a 5k. I did 3.2 miles today so I can handle it, albeit extremely slow.  Either way just gotta keep moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Otherwise, I feel like I'm talking to a wall, much like I do with my students. :)

ShareThis