Skip to main content

7 Miles

April started off with something I have never done. A 7 mile run. I was fairly nervous about this run. I wasn’t sure if I could handle this distance. I made sure I was prepared. I brought my water and chews and a gel pack along. That was another first in itself. I have never brought water or fuel along a run, never had the need. Seeing as during the 10K of my tri last year, I had some difficulty. I wanted to be prepared.

Planning a route for these longer runs is getting more and more difficult as they get longer and longer. The problems is if I want to run on paths that are better kept and have actual sidewalks, not to mention have better views, I must go uphill. I know this training is good for me and will help my endurance. I know it is nice to have the hill on the first portion and be able to go downhill on the last half. However, sometimes getting up that hill can be daunting.

So up the hill I went. Around mile 4 my stomach began to rebel on me. I had eaten a chew around mile 3. I think my body really doesn’t like running on anything but an empty stomach. This makes fueling for a longer run not so much fun. I managed to get through the uncomfortableness, thankfully. I ended up walking for a short period 3 times. While I would like to be able to run the whole thing, I also want to be good to my body.

I ended up doing 7.4 miles. The program I used to map the course was a bit off. But I am glad I was able to complete that distance. Next week 8 miles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend in San Diego

I was looking forward to this past weekend for a number of reasons and a number of weeks. First, it marked the beginning of my Spring Break. I cannot tell you how much of a needed break this is. To start the break off right, J.R. and I packed up our bikes (and some clothes) and headed down to San Diego for the weekend.

Saturday J.R. arranged for us to ride with a former coworker of his. We knew he is quite a bit slower than we are, but we simply wanted a nice, relaxing ride. What we did not know was that this would be the worst.ride.ever.
I want to preface things by saying I know things could have been far worse. I, also, know that if this was my worst ride, I should consider myself lucky. However, all that does not change how horribly catastrophic this ride turned out.
Problem #1 should have become very readily apparent the minute we started. J.R.’s former coworker chose the route. This man is not a very experienced rider, because of this he shys away from the road. That’s fine, however…

Surprises: The Good and the Bad

Solving Life's Questions

Today's prompt was:

If you couldn't answer with your job, how would you answer the question, 'what do you do'?


Now that is a difficult question. So often we put so much of who we are into the job we do. I am no exception. Much of my sense of being, of who I am rests in my career. I believe much of this has to do with my chosen profession. Teaching is definitely not for the faint of heart. 

However, I also believe this has to do with the fact that I feel this is more of a calling. It is what I was created to do. This makes my job an essential part of who I am.

It is no wonder when I lost my job a few years ago, I was seriously tested. The lack of income was a struggle and hardship. However, my ego and my self-esteem took a major hit as the years came and left leaving me unable to find a teaching job. It was then I was first met with the question of if I'm not teaching, then who am I.

I came to this conclusion, I am still a teacher. Even without a classroom to prepare les…