Skip to main content

Week in Review

I began writing this on Monday. However, work has been crazy this week. So instead this will be a bit of my week in review. J

Exhaustion doesn’t begin to describe my state Saturday afternoon. That morning J.R. and I got up early, packed up the bikes and headed out to the train station in Irvine. Next stop, the train station in Solana Beach, except we weren’t taking the train. We rode our bikes. 63 miles.

After our ride the Saturday before, 42 miles out to breakfast and back, I told J.R. I didn’t think I was ready for this particular ride. Normally, I easily keep up with the guys. Lately that has not been the case. I am not far behind; however it has been a struggle that it wasn’t before. I believe it may have to do with the weight I’ve recently put on. That has been a frustration in and of itself.

Despite voicing my concern, J.R. encouraged me to go. So I went. I’m still not sure whether I am happy or upset about that.
 
This ride was a struggle. There weren’t any big hills, simply a lot of little ones. By the end of the ride my legs were toast. I was beyond exhausted.
The upside was we added a couple of people to our little riding group. There were 6 of us for this ride. It is always more fun (and I feel safer) riding in a larger group. It was also a nice day, despite the fact that the marine layer never quite burned off. That did keep things nice and cool, but it would have been nice to see the sun.

Overall, it was a good ride, just a struggle. I am glad I was able to prove to myself I could do it despite my doubts, though the ensuing exhausted wasn’t so fun.
Sunday I skipped my long run. I figured my body needed a bit more time to recover. I spent all afternoon and evening in bed.
So very tired
Monday I planned to get up early and get my long run in. No such luck. I struggled to get out of bed and didn’t have time for a long run. I did my normal 2 mile route, so at least I was able to get a few miles in. My body definitely needed the extra rest and I’m so glad I listened.

My Tuesday workouts have been hit and miss lately, emphasis on the miss. It’s my day to do strength training. I just can’t seem to get myself out of bed. As J.R. and I went to the King's game Monday night, I definitely was in need of more sleep.

My excuse for not workout out. :)
Wednesday I figured third times a charm for my long run. And it was. Along with training for this half, I have been training for a rather hilly 5k that is this weekend. I have been fairly nervous about it. To prepare I have been forcing myself to run up this one particular hill. It is definitely not fun.

Today I got to the top of the hill for the first time in months. I was able to get through those 5 miles and felt really good about it. I was extremely please to conquer that hill along with the mileage. I am much more confident about Sunday’s 5k.


Thursday is my yoga day. It is the one day I get to sleep in a little. Except this particular day I woke up with a migraine. I broke down and took some medicine, not expecting much and thinking about how much I had to do at work. I definitely couldn’t afford to take a day off. Then my head started to feel better. Relief.
Then my body began to get shaky and jittery. I could no longer sit in bed hoping to fall back asleep. So I got up and began cleaning. I was able to accomplish quite a bit before I headed to work which was amazing.
At work, I was feeling miserable. The headache was gone. The medicine, however, really messed me up. The only positive was I was so jittery and couldn’t sit still that I got quite a bit of work done.

I managed to get through the whole day. I was off to my yoga class, which I always thoroughly enjoy. My instructor has ruined me for any other instructor. She is amazing.

This morning I had to argue with myself to get out of bed and run. I tried to convince myself it would be ok to just skip this mornings run. Thankfully, I didn’t listen. I got up and went back up that hill, though not as far this time.
As much as I struggle to get out of bed some mornings, I never regret getting out there and running. That is still so amazing to me.
Today begins my spring break. A much needed break from the stress and craziness that has been my work lately. This weekend I have the Hot Chocolate 5k. I am excited about it. It should be a fun weekend with a nice relaxing bike around the bay on Saturday. A good way to kick off my spring break.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend in San Diego

I was looking forward to this past weekend for a number of reasons and a number of weeks. First, it marked the beginning of my Spring Break. I cannot tell you how much of a needed break this is. To start the break off right, J.R. and I packed up our bikes (and some clothes) and headed down to San Diego for the weekend.

Saturday J.R. arranged for us to ride with a former coworker of his. We knew he is quite a bit slower than we are, but we simply wanted a nice, relaxing ride. What we did not know was that this would be the worst.ride.ever.
I want to preface things by saying I know things could have been far worse. I, also, know that if this was my worst ride, I should consider myself lucky. However, all that does not change how horribly catastrophic this ride turned out.
Problem #1 should have become very readily apparent the minute we started. J.R.’s former coworker chose the route. This man is not a very experienced rider, because of this he shys away from the road. That’s fine, however…

Surprises: The Good and the Bad

Solving Life's Questions

Today's prompt was:

If you couldn't answer with your job, how would you answer the question, 'what do you do'?


Now that is a difficult question. So often we put so much of who we are into the job we do. I am no exception. Much of my sense of being, of who I am rests in my career. I believe much of this has to do with my chosen profession. Teaching is definitely not for the faint of heart. 

However, I also believe this has to do with the fact that I feel this is more of a calling. It is what I was created to do. This makes my job an essential part of who I am.

It is no wonder when I lost my job a few years ago, I was seriously tested. The lack of income was a struggle and hardship. However, my ego and my self-esteem took a major hit as the years came and left leaving me unable to find a teaching job. It was then I was first met with the question of if I'm not teaching, then who am I.

I came to this conclusion, I am still a teacher. Even without a classroom to prepare les…