Skip to main content

Leprechaun Leap 5K


A few weeks ago, I embarked on my 3rd 5K. I was very excited for this one. It was on a flat course and I felt this was a great opportunity to complete a sub 30 race. Plus, it was on St. Patrick’s Day which gave me a wonderful excuse to go green.

 J.R. decided to do the race with me, though he complained about me “forcing” him into yet another run. The man definitely hates to run. We set out that morning hoping it wouldn't rain on us. I don’t know what it is, but every time I do a 5K it is in rainy weather. Thankfully, the rain held off until after the race.


I have to say I had a pretty easy time of running this race. Recently, I started running outside again, instead of at the gym. I forgot how much I love running outside. This time I am running up all the hills that surround my house, rather than walking them. I believe this may have something to do with the ease of this race. Also, I was able to have my music during this run. This helps me out greatly, as I can focus on the music and not how tired I may be.

One problem I did come across was I did not know how far I had run. This seems to be a frequent problem of mine. Toward the end, this can be daunting as you aren’t quite sure how much you have left. Finally, at mile marker 3 there was some relief. I was almost done. I apparently missed all the other mile markers along the way. I saw the most important one, the last one.

At that sight, I began to sprint. I wanted to be able to say I did everything I could. Honestly, I felt like I was going to throw up. I kept pushing. As I crossed the finish line, the time read 30.17. I knew I started the race more than 17 seconds after the gun time. I was hopeful that I had made my goal.

I waited for J.R. to finish and we looked up our official results. I was elated to find my time was 29.14! I finally did it! On to the next goal. J.R. was a bit disappointed. It seems he is always just a few seconds over his goal time. But I am so very proud of him for going out there and running.


I’m on to the next race. The next few are all bikes. My next run won't be till my Mud Run in June. I haven’t done a race for bikes alone yet so I’m looking forward to it. We have the Sea Otter Classic in Monterey in a couple of weeks. Should be fun!

Just gotta keep moving!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend in San Diego

I was looking forward to this past weekend for a number of reasons and a number of weeks. First, it marked the beginning of my Spring Break. I cannot tell you how much of a needed break this is. To start the break off right, J.R. and I packed up our bikes (and some clothes) and headed down to San Diego for the weekend.

Saturday J.R. arranged for us to ride with a former coworker of his. We knew he is quite a bit slower than we are, but we simply wanted a nice, relaxing ride. What we did not know was that this would be the worst.ride.ever.
I want to preface things by saying I know things could have been far worse. I, also, know that if this was my worst ride, I should consider myself lucky. However, all that does not change how horribly catastrophic this ride turned out.
Problem #1 should have become very readily apparent the minute we started. J.R.’s former coworker chose the route. This man is not a very experienced rider, because of this he shys away from the road. That’s fine, however…

Surprises: The Good and the Bad

Solving Life's Questions

Today's prompt was:

If you couldn't answer with your job, how would you answer the question, 'what do you do'?


Now that is a difficult question. So often we put so much of who we are into the job we do. I am no exception. Much of my sense of being, of who I am rests in my career. I believe much of this has to do with my chosen profession. Teaching is definitely not for the faint of heart. 

However, I also believe this has to do with the fact that I feel this is more of a calling. It is what I was created to do. This makes my job an essential part of who I am.

It is no wonder when I lost my job a few years ago, I was seriously tested. The lack of income was a struggle and hardship. However, my ego and my self-esteem took a major hit as the years came and left leaving me unable to find a teaching job. It was then I was first met with the question of if I'm not teaching, then who am I.

I came to this conclusion, I am still a teacher. Even without a classroom to prepare les…