Skip to main content

New Job! (Again)

I have grand plans for a post of my trip to Texas, but this past week flew by and I didn't get the chance. I've only been home just over a week and it feels like forever ago that I was there. We had a really nice time with my parents. But I'll save the whole story for another post. 

If you've been keeping up with what's been going on around here you'd remember I was finally able to get a job after over a year of searching. (Details here.) Well, that wonderful job came to an abrupt end when they refused to let me go to Texas for Christmas. This trip had been planned since July and there was no way I wasn't going to go. So I was forced to quit, something I was both sad and happy about. I had very mixed feelings about the job in the first place. I was told they might have something for me when I returned but let's just say I wasn't holding my breath on the matter.

When we got back from Texas I was in a bit of a panic concerning the whole job situation. I no longer have unemployment coming my way and finding a job has been quite the daunting task. It seems unless you know someone you can't get one. A few months back a friend of mine said they were always hiring where she worked and she would send me an application. Weeks went by and I never heard another thing from her. I bugged her about it a few times but I didn't want to be a bother so I forgot about the whole thing. That is until last week. A week ago, completely out of the blue, my friend emails me the application she promised me back in November. She told me they had a position open. So I filled that thing out just about as quickly as I could and sent it back to her. Yesterday, her brother (he helps run the business) calls me. He explained the job and asked if I was interested. I said, "it's a job of course I'm interested."

Today I went in to talk to my friends brother. (Its a family run business and it just so happens this family are old friends of my family. Their dad is the one who married J.R. and I.) I would say it was an interview but then I'd be lying. I sat down and he asked me when I could start. Immediately was my response. With the paperwork all done, tomorrow is my first day. And what you might ask am I doing? Well, its something right up my alley and something that I think I'll be happy doing. This family runs a group of after school programs that are publicly funded. They have grown quite a bit. They started out with about 60 students and a year later had 1500. I'll be working with elementary students, something I haven't really done yet. But I'm looking forward to the experience and the chance to use all my education once again. It's only part time. But I'm excited about the chance to work with students in a different arena. Somewhere where its not all about discipline, somewhere where I can have some fun with them and its not all about the work.

As an added bonus I get to create my own club for the kids. I've just got to come up with an idea for something. I can do whatever I want, which is amazing. But it's also a little overwhelming trying to figure out what to do. But its just a new adventure and I'm excited about the potential. Oh and I was told that there is a chance down the road that this could turn into a full time job which would be outstanding. So YAY for a new job. Now on to maybe finding another part time job.

And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.
~ Philippians 4:19


Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Otherwise, I feel like I'm talking to a wall, much like I do with my students. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend in San Diego

I was looking forward to this past weekend for a number of reasons and a number of weeks. First, it marked the beginning of my Spring Break. I cannot tell you how much of a needed break this is. To start the break off right, J.R. and I packed up our bikes (and some clothes) and headed down to San Diego for the weekend.

Saturday J.R. arranged for us to ride with a former coworker of his. We knew he is quite a bit slower than we are, but we simply wanted a nice, relaxing ride. What we did not know was that this would be the worst.ride.ever.
I want to preface things by saying I know things could have been far worse. I, also, know that if this was my worst ride, I should consider myself lucky. However, all that does not change how horribly catastrophic this ride turned out.
Problem #1 should have become very readily apparent the minute we started. J.R.’s former coworker chose the route. This man is not a very experienced rider, because of this he shys away from the road. That’s fine, however…

Lazy Days

Saturday J.R. and I were lazy. It was nice. We eventually crawled out of bed and decided it wasn't too late for a ride. The ride we originally planned for the day goes through some less than safe roads. I was ok with riding these roads early in the morning with no traffic. I wasn't about to attempt them later in the day.

So we made our way to the trusty trail. We did a nice easy 23 mile out and back ride. It was a beautiful day. We were a bit concerned about the wind. However, it turned out to not effect us as much as we thought.

After, we did a little shopping. A few weeks ago I read Too Cute Runner's review of the Reebok 7" shorts and I simply had to buy some myself to try out.

My legs are huge. Granted they are no where near the size there were before. (I lost over 10 inches in one thigh alone!) However, they are still large. They are very muscular and I'm thankful for it. I've come to accept my tree trunks. :)

Because of my larger legs, running shorts don&…